Some sad news was released to the public this morning that Walter Stewart’s career at UC is over. I took some time to reflect on the events earlier today but now we need to address the opponent this Saturday the Syracuse Orange. As always it starts with Butch Jones’ weekly presser:
- Very proud of his team for overcoming adversity of giving up a lead on the road in a rivalry game and coming back and tying the game. But was disappointed in their inability to finish. Weren’t we all…
- Decision making still an issue with Munchie. Yep.
- Moving on to this weekend, Syracuse has loads of momentum heading into this game and reminds him of the same team that handed Cincinnati a beatdown in Nippert Stadium two years ago.
- Top-down typically coach appraisal of the Orange.
- Feels like this year’s team is “built right” but it means nothing if they make mistakes on gameday.
- Ryan Nassib is a pocket passer with a strong offensive line. That’s a recipe for a dangerous passing offense.
- MLB Greg Blair has been outstanding this season and the great news is that he’ll back next year.
- Wants expanded role for Ralph David Abernathy. It would also be nice to use him for the full four quarters of a game as opposed to just three. He’s a game changer who should be getting as many touches as possible.
- Syracuse plays very physical football. This is especially so on defense. George Winn is going to earn every single one of his yards on Saturday.
- Finally admitted that Munchie needs to be ran more. For obvious reasons the quarterback’s #1 job is throwing the football but Munchie needs to understand that he’s a bigger factor in Cincinnati’s running game than most other quarterbacks in college football.
- Addresses Munchie’s “I’m better” comment from last week. He really ate those words in the game against Louisville. Butch says it’s a factor of his confidence, which is fine, but he needs deliver a more mature answer.
- Butch goes on for 4 – 5 minutes defending Munchie and throwing his poor completion percentage out the window. The fact is Brendan Kay isn’t going to see the field with the first team unless #4 goes down with an injury. That’s just the way it is.
- Walter Stewart has a job as a Cincinnati Bearcats coach if he wants it. I’d hire him in a heartbeat.
- Butch closes the presser with some very kind words for Walt. Butch Jones, always a class act.
As always, you can watch the entire presser here.