Time to get back to football. Below is a summary of Butch Jones’ weekly press conference. This week’s opponent are the South Florida Bulls.
- Jones spoke for a good 3 – 4 minutes wrapping up the Rutgers game, pointing to a lot of things they did well and UC didn’t do well which caused the Scarlet Knights to come out on top. Overall, the Bearcats just got beat by a better team. On to South Florida…
- He gives Skip Holtz his coachie props but I don’t have much respect for him. Jones/Bajakian/Jancek can coach circles around the USF head coach and his assistants.
- Really important statement from Jones – Even though UC is basically eliminated from the Big East title race, the Bearcats are still capable of winning 10 games this season. That’s a huge accomplishment and would make it the fourth year in the last five seasons that Cincinnati has been able to do this.
- Brendon Kay is practicing and fighting through the ding to his non-throwing elbow. I’d expect Kay to play this week.
- Jones says Kay has “moved up from questionable to probable” re his likelihood of playing against USF.
- Bearcats are really feeling the loss of Walter Stewart’s ability to create pressure. It’s extremely difficult to replace his production and Cincinnati is realizing this.
- There’s a 97% chance Butch Jones does the funky chicken dance on the top of the Linder Center to get it to snow on Friday night.
- Gives props to Walter Stewart and Rueben Johnson’s to lead their former teammates on the sidelines. Their leadership has been instrumental this year and is a symptom of Jones instilling responsibility in his players.
- Also gives thanks to the fans at Nippert Stadium last Saturday. They really did answer the call.
- Re: Conference Realignment – “Sudden change”. UC has adapt and take care of itself.
- Intriguing thoughts about playing football the week of Thanksgiving. Actually feels it’s advantageous to play on the road this week because a team can maintain focus. Bearcats will practice everyday until gameday and stay in their standard hotel on Thursday night. It’s all a means of keeping his team focused.
- Closes with some nice words for Drew Frey. #26 is definitely a Bearcat through and through.
You can watch the entire Butch Jones presser here.