Cincinnati president Santa Ono, head coach Butch Jones, and Belk Bowl respresentative Will Web held a presser today to discuss the Bearcats heading to Charlotte, NC to play in the Belk Bowl against the Duke Blue Devils. They were the only people in the room interested in discussing the Belk Bowl. Everyone else obviously wanted to know about Jones’ interest in accepting the Colorado Buffaloes head coaching position or staying at Cincinnati. Let’s get to the notes:
– President Ono took the podium first, introduced Will Web.
– In front of a packed house, Ono reeled off some stats pumping up UC athletics and throwing in a #hottestcollegeinamerica mention. I would expect nothing less from him.
– Will Web took the podium and told a nice story about a Louisville football player buying his mom a coffee maker and some slippers last year with his Belk gift card.
– Jones appropriately commented that it’s like they’re “going back to prom” when Web attaches a Belk Bowl pins on their jackets. Never change, Butch.
- Butch took the podium and it was pretty much all downhill from here.
– First question taken from the crowd was about his coaching status. He smiled and deflected the question, trying to refocus the reporters back on the Belk Bowl, but it didn’t work…
– “I’m still the head coach here and that speaks volumes.”
– One question later another asshole asks about his coaching staff, to which Butch threatened to shut down the presser if the reporters didn’t focus. Things seemed to get back on track from there.
– Compares Duke to Vanderbilt, UC’s opponent from last season’s Liberty Bowl. Similar schools, way different programs.
– Web gives Cincinnati tons of props and, what I think is most important, their commitment to travelling well to bowl games. UC might catch flack for not filling up Nippert week-in and week-out but know that Bearcats fans can fill seats in the postseason, and that’s what bowls care about the most.
– Damnit, Butch called Isaiah Pead “flamboyant” again! How do you not love this guy??
– “They’ve been eyeing Cincinnati, we’ve been eyeing the Belk Bowl” – Oh dear God I hope not.
– Speaks highly of Whit Babcock, Santa Ono, and the city of Cincinnati.
– Belk Bowl allotment is 12,500 tickets. Will Web didn’t think UC would have a problem selling that out.
You can watch the presser in its entirety here.