I’m a little busy today some I’m giving you the dumbed down version of a standard basketball game preview.
- Temple is 5-9 without a win in AAC play. Forget Rutgers, this is by far the worst conference team Cincinnati has played to date.
- The Owls are pretty darn young. Temple graduated three seniors after last season and have just one on this year’s iteration of the team (#32 – Dalton Pepper). Four other players are juniors on a relatively small roster of just 11.
- The good news for Temple is that their lone senior, Pepper, is a beast with the ball in his hands. The guard averages 17.2 points per game and is shooting 43.5% from three.
- But Pepper is not alone. Point guard Will Cummings (#2) is averaging 16.1 points per game, guard/wing Quentin DeCosey (#25) is averaging 16 points per game, and forward Anthony Lee (#3) is averaging 13.9 points per game.
- To say the Owls are top-heavy and lacking depth is an understatement. Outside of those four, no other player is averaging more than 6.7 points per game and head coach Fran Dunphy is still trying to find that fifth player that optimizes his lineup. He has failed to do so this season.
- Temple is a lot like Rutgers on the surface in that they have the capability to score points (averaging 78.3 per game) but can’t stop anyone. The Owls surrender an average of 75.9 points per game, ranking them 295th in the nation.
- This is a guard-focused team that doesn’t rebound very well outside of Anthony Lee. If Justin Jackson bottles him up, expect Titus Rubles and Shaq Thomas to get all sorts of nasty around the rim tonight.
- Overall this is a solid program who are going through a bit of a transition year, much like the Cincinnati Bearcats. But unlike UC, Temple lost more over the course of the offseason that hasn’t been rectified by new players. If Cincinnati was playing last year’s Owls team I would be worried. Not this season, though.
- Prediction: Cincinnati 78, Temple 59