Coach Butch Jones talked Pitt today at his weekly Tuesday luncheon. Here are some of the highlights:
- Pitt game begins a series of meaningful games in November.
- Lots of starters on offense and defense.
- Very talented at linebacker (i.e. Brandon Lindsey).
- Tino Sunseri is playing very well. But I think he’s relied on Ray Graham and a UConn non-defense this year.
- Teams start slow off of bye weeks and it is important in practice this week to get them back up to game speed so they don’t start off slow.
Q & A
- Even with Ray Graham out, Jones believes Pitt will keep playing their game and thinks Brown can fill in nicely for Graham.
- “Pitt’s as good of a team as we will face” – Coach speak. He’d say the same thing about UConn.
- 3 -4 defense for Pitt presents a challenge because of all of the looks they have.
- Special teams will play a critical factor in this game. Pitt has the best special teams unit UC has faced to date.
- Need to play ‘Assignment Sound’ defense
- Receivers and schemes could cause problems for Bearcats secondary but UC needs to win on the defensive line.
- Outside screens can negate a pass rush, secondary need to play well in space. Had a lot of issues with that against USF.
- Bearcats taking each game one week at a time without looking at rankings.
- Mentions true freshman Trenier Orr possibly seeing playing time as the season progresses with Dominique Battle out.
- I’m pretty sure it was Koch who asked the stupid question about turnover margin and how Jones feels about it.
- Says players don’t really care about Pitt, Syracuse, WVU leaving the Big East. They just want to win, no matter the opponent.